Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nolan and Grandpa Leath

We were surprised when we returned from St. George and only a week later we heard my cousin Nolan, who we had just visited with, had passed away during an afternoon nap at the age of 18.  Nolan is the third son born of six to my Aunt Lorna and Uncle Ryan Anderson.  He was a great young man with a wonderful spirit.  I love all my cousins, but Nolan was especially easy to love!  I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ being restored to the earth so we have the knowledge of where Nolan's spirit has gone and that we will see him again.  I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who gives us peace through hard times in our life.  My aunt and uncle along with their boys are truly my heroes as they expressed such strong testimony that families can be together forever.  Nolan was excited to turn in his papers next year to serve a mission for the Lord, but his life mission had ended and he was needed for his next mission on the other side.  I'm posting Nolan's obituary because I'm so proud of this young man and the accomplishments and physical hardships he was able to overcome in just 18 years.  His funeral inspired me to live every day to the fullest, live with no regrets, and never take a moment with my family for granted.  It's true we never know what life will bring.  
With my siblings, and husband, at the cemetery.  I love my siblings and  need to remember to enjoy every moment I have with them!

I absolutely love this picture!  Nolan's favorite color was blue and someone brought blue balloons to be released in honor of Nolan.  We did a countdown and shouted "Nolan" as the balloons were released.  It brings tears to my eyes seeing my Aunt, Nolan's mom, so joyful on a day she could be so depressed.  She has shown nothing but faithfulness throughout this time and has been in tune with the spirit confirming to her that Nolan is where he needs to be and he's happy.  Lorna is such a great example to me of faithfulness, perspective, compassion, and motherhood.  
My dad and his little sister, Lorna Lee

The Amazing Andersons!
As we arrived home from Nolan's funeral late Monday night we received word that my Grandpa Leath, my dad's dad, had passed away.  He's been struggling with Alzheimer's for awhile and came down with a fever and slipped away with the help of a caring hospice and VA staff as well as my dedicated grandma Dawna by his side.  It's a much different feeling to discover someone has died when you know they have lived a full life and are suffering with disease.  I'm happy my grandpa is back to his normal self and mind and reunited with those who have passed before him, including my cousin Nolan.  I'm very proud of my grandpa who served as a WWII B-24 bomber pilot who flew in over 40 missions.  It gave me chills when the Pocatello Veterans Honor Guard performed the Military Rites at the grave site.  I am proud to be an American and proud my grandpa served our country!  It was a perfect place to be on the 4th of July with all of our family.  I'm thankful for the wonderful life my grandpa lived as a worthy priesthood holder and family man.     
All the granddaughters got a flower off of grandpa's casket.  I love my grandpa!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really beautiful post Lauren! It is wonderful to see your aunt be the way she is. After Kim passed, it was very sad...but I think I have been so at peace because I know God has a plan and always has a reason and we will see those that we have lost again!

    ReplyDelete